It's simple, fast, and will make a difference. Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T are waiving their fees for these charitable donations.
I found some information from MSNBC. You can make various amounts of automatic donations with the following texts:
- Text the word "YELE" to 501501 to donate $5 to the Yele Haiti foundation.
- Text the word "HAITI" to 20222 to donate $10 to the Clinton Foundation Haiti Relief Fund.
- Text "HAITI" to 25383 to donate $5 to the International Rescue Committee.
- Text "HAITI" to 85944 to donate $10 to the International Medical Corps.
- Text "HAITI" to 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross.
When I texted the Red Cross, I immediately received a confirmation text from them to which I needed to reply YES to send the transaction through.
If you'd like to make a larger donation, Visa and American Express have decided not to make a profit off of the relief effort, but only for donations to organizations on their small, approved list.
It is absolute hell in Haiti right now, and it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Update: I found the advice on this blog to be sound, about considering which charities to support.